Friday, October 7, 2011

American Crafter Round 1-Sound Activated Halloween Pillow

Today I am SO excited to be posting my Round 1 project for the American Crafter competition, hosted by Amy at Naptime Crafters. This rounds theme is Halloween!

If you are popping over from Amy's blog to check out the tutorial, HELLO and welcome to Love Sweet Love! If you're here from anywhere else I'm so happy you've come on over to check out my project and if you like what you see, I would so love it if you could make a quick stop HERE and put a vote in for me and my pillow! :) The best part about this competition is that you can vote for THREE (3!) different projects so head on over and vote for your 3 favorites! You don't have to have a blog, be a blogger, or even like blogging ;) to vote-everyone's opinion matters!! And I promise...the other 14 halloween projects are Drop. Dead. Amazing. These girls do NOT mess around. Seriously you HAVE to go check them out!!!

My entry:
Sound Activated Halloween Pillow

You can see the quick and simple version of my project at Naptime Crafters, but if you're looking for a detailed how-to...here ya go!

1. I Cut the burlap to the size I wanted the pillow to be (including a few extra inches for seam allowance)
2. I ironed mine flat so there wouldn't be weird creases in the pillow since my burlap had been sitting folded up in a closet for awhile.
3. I sketched a quick design on paper and then used pins to outline where I wanted everything to go so I could keep track as I went about adding the different elements to the pillow.
4. I printed out a stencil on my cricut and then used a black permanent marker to print it onto the pillow.
5. Ta Da! :)



1. I purchased half a yard of black lace and grosgrain ribbon from Hobby Lobby (still have a little less than half leftover)
2. First sewed on the black lace and then sewed the ribbon directly up the middle of the lace.
3. I intentionally left a couple inches of the lace/ribbon strip on either side of the burlap so that it could be sewed into the top seam of the pillow, leaving a nice clean line.


1&2.I then stuffed the pillow with polyfiber that had been given to me by my BF (but it's super cheap at JoAnns-especially if you use a coupon!)
3. With the leftover lace, I made a flower by cutting a small circle of felt and then hot gluing the lace to it, starting at the outer edge and circling around and around toward the center until...
4...it was a full circle! I then added a sparkly, silver brad to the middle.

I love that the flower comes out at you to add a little dimension to the pillow and the lace gives it a different texture!


BUUUUTTTT what good would a 'Happy Haunting' pillow be if it wasn't slightly...haunted?! That's when I had this idea...

1.I took a too-spooky-for-my-taste grim reaper decoration
2. Removed the sound activated device (that when activated by sound, responds by making eeeerie noises and glowing RED!!!)
3. Inserted it into the pillow
4. Cut a small square of posterboard to insert the small LED's into-and used electrical tape to hold them in place on the back of the poster-so that they wouldn't shift around and get lost or smothered by the polyfiber inside the pillow.
5. LASTLY, I cut a small hole around the on/off switch so I can choose which neighbors I'd like to scare up until Halloween :)







Happy Haunting!

Thanks so much for popping over for a looksy today! Now go cast your vote HERE -I'm contestant#10 (pretty pretty pleeeease, it would mean SO much to me!) and I'll see ya back here Monday with more October MaDnESs! Have a Sweetly Lovely day my lovelies!

Linking up to these great parties as well as:
PhotobucketUndertheTableandDreaming

The DIY Show Off

21 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow! So clever and absolutely darling! Thanks for linking up to The Crazy Cute Link Party @ Between U & Me! Can't wait to see what you share next week! :D

Courtney said...

P.S. I just voted for you!! Yay! Good luck!

Simply Sammie said...

I LOVE it! Absolutely adorable and could scare the bajesus out of some one... don't think it gets a lot better then that!

Maranda said...

Yours is definitely the best! It's certainly the most creative. You're always amazing. And you have the second most votes! You're almost there!
P.S. I just picked up some stuff from the dollar store to make your skeleton jar thingy. I'm excited! I'm also going to try a few crafts of my own. We'll see how it goes :)

Nikki Monet said...

This is so darn clever!!! Fellow competitor and newest follower stopping by from http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com Stop by and give us a visit some time :)

Have a great weekend!!

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

Yayyyyyyyy I love your pillow! Was an amazingly clever and creative idea!!!!!! :) I am so excited fir you my friend-- you are just such a wonderful crafty gal!!!
Jaime

Flour Blossoms said...

Love it. I am totally digging burlap these days too so I think its perfect :)

Heidi said...

You were one of the ones I just voted for...really cute! I like that it is "cute creepy" and not creepy. Where is your skeleton from? I think I need to get my hands on one of those!

Heidi@HomemadeBeautiesByHeidi

Blissful & Domestic said...

This is so amazing! I love it! I'd love for you to link up to my linky party at www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

Rhonda @ home.made. said...

That is such a great idea... and love the glitter skeleton! Visiting from TT&J...

Rhonda @ home.made.

Karen said...

Very cute! I love that it is sound activated:) I voted for you!! HOpe you win!
Karen@PocketFullofPink

Anonymous said...

Love that you used burlap! Stopping in to follow from the blog hop - hope you have time to visit and return the favor soon. Ohhh ... and enter to win a free copy of my book too!!
www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com/

Mandi@MandiBeingCrafty said...

Thanks is seriously the best pillow ever! Great job!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This looks great! I hope you will link up this project to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party. www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Katie said...

LOVE this pillow! Great job.

Unknown said...

ADORABLE, TOTALLY LOVE. I am sharing this on my COM-FB page. Have a good one.

winks-jen

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

LOVE! Featuring these on Friday on our blog :))) You are awesome! Thanks for always sharing and linkin up :)

Mindie Hilton said...

featuring on thurs afternoon at bacon time :)

Marilyn said...

Hello, thanks SO much again for linking up to Pin'Inspirational Thursdays last week.. I featured it as my top five this week.. Please stop in and have a looksey/grab a button if you'd like.. This is totally awesome.. :))..Hope you can link up again today..~M

Seotop1 said...

In Nguyen Gia, always provide customers with high quality printing products at low prices by applying the world's advanced printing technology and effective project management capabilities. managed to meet the increasing demands of our customers.
in to roi gia re
in tui giay gia re
in lich
Commit to the right output product, quality, time as in the contract & commitment to customers.

Anonymous said...

supreme hoodie
jordan shoes
golden goose outlet
kyrie 7
yeezy boost 350
golden goose
fear of god t shirt
jordan 13
curry shoes
jordan shoes